October 26, 2012

B. had her first ultrasound today. I got a text from her a couple hours ago saying that the doctor heard a heartbeat! That means the pregnancy is now considered “viable”. We’ll still probably wait to tell most people until the end of the first trimester, but we may begin to increase the number of people that know.

Also, the doctor only mentioned one heartbeat. B. didn’t ask about that distinction, but I’m sure the doctor would have said something if he or she had heard two heartbeats. I consider that to be good news! It’s possible that both hearts were beating at the same time, and the doctor will check again in a few weeks, but it seems likely that there is only one baby.

B. still has to drive two hours to get to a local IVF clinic for these appointments. I hope that soon she can start going to her OBGYN in the city where she lives. I also hope this means that future appointments will be covered by the additional insurance policy we bought.