April 21, 2013

A lot has been happening in our lives, but not so much with the baby, which is why I haven’t posted in two months. I guess this part of the pregnancy is uneventful if everything is going well. I shouldn’t say it’s uneventful since the baby isn’t growing inside of me. I’m sure B. would have a very different description of the last two months.

We still Skype with her every Sunday. And although the camera isn’t pointed at her belly, she still doesn’t look that pregnant. I’m comparing her to the server at the Mexican restaurant where we ate last night. She looked like her water was going to break all over my chips and salsa. But she said she still has a month to go. We have two more months to go, but B. is considerably smaller than I thought she would be by now. She has a noticeable bump, but her face doesn’t look much different.

Apparently the baby has been very active. We’ve been calling her “Philipa” because we are not sharing the name we have actually chosen until she is born. We’ve found that people are judgmental about names when the names are disassociated from the person they describe. When people put a face with a name they are more kind. I’m not sure if this is because the name is suddenly synonymous with an adorable baby or if because at that point the name is on the birth certificate and it’s a done deal.

In any case, I’m concerned that Philipa is going to stick around as a nickname. And let’s be honest; that is an ugly name. I don’t care how cute she is, she’s not going to transform a name like Philipa into a thing of grace. But our family has started calling her that, with the exception of my mother-in-law who calls her “my princess” (we’ll get to that in another post…).

In other news, we both live in California now – which is great because neither one of us was doing well with the long distance thing. We have sold our house in Massachusetts and I have been hard at work in my new job for a little more than three months now. We’ve renovated and decorated our new house. We’re settling in to our new life. Just in time for it all to be transformed again.